Don’t make the mistake in believing all Real Estate Agents are created equally. According to the National Association of REALTORS® 2017 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers, Buyers typically only interviewed one agent before working with them, and 74% of Sellers contacted only one agent with 18% saying they would probably recommend their agent for future services. Those are pretty scary numbers considering you are buying or selling one of the most important investments in your life.
You can lose thousands of dollars, waste months to years, and create unnecessary stress on your family by hiring the wrong Realtor. You owe it to yourself to interview and choose the best agent that will help you accomplish your goals. Below are some questions that will help you ensure you are hiring a professional that is truly qualified to help you. Adjust your questions based on needing a Buyer’s Agent or Listing Agent:
1. Do you work full-time as a Realtor?
2. How long have you been a Realtor?
3. How many homes have you sold this year? Last year?
4. Do you have a list of past clients/references we may call?
5. What is your Days on Market (DOM) average compared to the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) average?
6. What is your List Price to Sold Price average compared to the MLS average?
7. Where do you rank in your office?
8. What lead generation systems do you have to develop an inventory of Buyers for your listings?
9. How many listings do you currently have? Pending contracts?
10. Do you have a written marketing plan specifically designed to sell my home?
11. How exactly do you plan on making me the most amount of money in the shortest amount of time?
12. How many websites will my home be advertised?
13. Will you do any additional advertising and marketing? Open houses?
14. In what ways do you encourage other Realtors to show and sell my property?
15. How will you let me know what you are doing to market my property?
16. Will you provide us with written activity reports of showings and prospective Buyer and Realtor comments?
17. Can you outline the Buyer/Seller process?
18. Do you use a professional photographer for your listings?
19. Outline your value for your commission. Why are you worth it?
20. If I am unhappy with your service, what are my options for moving forward with another Realtor?
Make sure the Realtor can back up any and all statements. Take a “show me” attitude! Don’t be shy; this could be the most important business decision of your life!